1. Can you tell me a bit about the formation of Winter fun Inc. and it's affiliation with the US National Snow Sculpting Competition in Lake Geneva?
WinterFun Inc. was incorporated in 1985 as a 501(c)3 Wisconsin Corporation and created the US Competition. The first National event was developed and with our previous involvement as the US Snow Sculpting Team competing in Quebec, Canada we became co-founders of the International Association of Snow and Ice Sculpting Association. The international snow sculpting community was a source for us to create a US International Competition which took place in Milwaukee until our event director, Gene Kempfer, passed away in 2001. The international association was instrumental in presenting a WinterFun proposal the the Canadian Organizing Committee Olympic to produce an international competition as part of the 1988 Winter Olympic Games, Calgary, Alberta. We were commissioned and produced a 23 country competition, the first ever for an Olympic Games. WinterFun events have produced more Olympic and international Champions than anywhere in the world. We have been consultants for producing competitions in Japan and Russia and a model for other successful sculpting events in Breckenridge, CO, Frankenmuth, MI, Chicago, IL and Lake Tahoe, CA.
WinterFun has become synonymous with snow and sculpting throughout the US. We sanction 12 states to host exclusive state level competitions, each sending their winners to Lake Geneva. Newest sanction this season is Loveland, CO and NY to enter in 2015.
2. As I understand the festival is in it's 19th year, when was the sculpting competition added to it and have you been a part of it since the beginning?
The US National Competition is the festival cornerstone event and the one week expansion is new this winter.
3. What makes Lake Geneva a good spot for this competition?
Lake Geneva is centrally located and very near major metropolitan cities. The resort and tourism highlights along with a major winter showcase event makes Lake Geneva very attractive winter destination. Lake Geneva is on the minds of every sculpting team as their ultimate goal. They remark on how "open armed" the people are and how well they were treated.
4. How many other US National Snow Sculpting Competition events are there throughout the county and how does the Lake Geneva event stack up against them?
We are it, no other state in the US can claim what we have. Is to be the biggest and best of it's kind.
5. If I remember correctly, the weather was a bit poor last year and it resulted in some early melting- what are your hopes and predictions this year- weather wise?
We have produced snow sculpting competitions for nearly 30 years and have never canceled due to inclement weather conditions. Inclement to us is temps above freezing. When there hasn't been snow around the state, The Grand Geneva Resort makes it. We love The Grand Geneva and Lake Geneva.
The prediction is we will have 15 of some of the best US snow carvers in Lake Geneva from Tuesday through Sunday and they all will take with them memories of being part of something very special. My hope is for every person that attends the event returns home safely and shares positive experiences of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin with friends and family.